I love going to places of worship, be it temples, churches, gurudwaras etc. I hold a deep grudge against whoever made the rule that women cannot enter mosques. I would love to see the Jama Masjid from inside. Also, do u know non-Parsis are not allowed inside the fire temple - Hmph. I just don't get these rules.
Anyways, yesterday S and I had gone to the Dagdusheth Ganpati temple. It was the middle of the day, the sun scorching the life out of us. We finished and were about to leave when we heard the Aarti starting. So we decided to stay back. now we were standing outside the temple in the heat. It was around 1 pm so you can try to imagine the temperature. So as we were standing there, this old couple came up behind us. The old man was the cutest thing. Toothless, frail and wrinkled. So, S moves to give them place to stand. And guess what. The old man has an umbrella with him, which because he is standing right next to me now, is fully covering my head and blocking out the sun. Wow...God really was pleased with me I guess. What luck ha. These lil things keep the faith going I suppose.A list of simple facts:
1) I simply love the Ganpati Aarti. It tops all other aartis and bhajans. It is so melodious and soulful. 2) When I visit a temple, I must-must-must get a tikka (red, preferably) on my forehead. It completes the visit.
3) Oh, how can I forget. I love ringing all the bells. Each and every one of them.
4) I don't crave prasad unless its a gurudwara.
5) I don't understand why you cant take pictures in a place of worship.
6) I feel extremely proud when I know the aarti/bhajan/chant.
Do you love the sound of the zhaanj (cymbals) too? I do. A lot. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd some determination you got girl, to stand on the road and bear the Pune heat at 1pm!!
I have always seen Dagadusheth from outside while passing by the road. Pretty shameless that way. :P